Skip to main content

Reply to "13U, 14U, 15U parents step inside"

Wanted to update my previous post in this thread.  You live and learn.

I have realized that it is absurd to have my 2021 playing nationally in the fall of his freshman year.  The cost of travel would be ridiculous and there would be little benefit from a scouting standpoint.

Last Fall I had him "play up" as an 8th Grader on a JV team.  It was great experience, he learned a lot and got better.  Cost was $85.  This winter as an 8th grader he got to attend his high school's winter workouts, 30+ practices over 11 weeks, the volunteer coaches were all former college players, he learned a ton, cost was $0.

This Fall we'll likely play in the same Fall Ball league, likely in the Varsity division.  Playing up against kids 2-3 years older is plenty enough of a challenge.  He'll probably only play 2B and LF and bat further down the order but he'll learn a lot and be challenged.  There is no need for us to travel to Florida to play 15U kids there when he can play 17U kids in WI

This summer he's on a 14U travel team that will just play in our state.  He'll play 7 different positions (everything besides pitcher & catcher) on a Majors team.  That is plenty, to me....