Skip to main content

Reply to "15u WWBA"

PGStaff posted:

Most every team keeps a scorebook for their games.  So when there are discrepancies, we can almost always check other scorebooks.  In SanDiegoRealist case, there was an error made when he reported his son had an AB in a game where it showed he had none.  When discovering it was a walk, the AB was changed to no AB.

The problem with the other game was SanDiegoiRealist claimed his son went 2 for 2 with a Double, a single, A walk and a HBP. That is exactly what we had but our scorekeeper scored the single as an error.  Normally we couldn't change that, but in this case we knew the opposing team well and had them check their book.  They had it scored as a single.  So we decided to change it to a single.

So his son ended up with exactly the stat line that SanDiegoRealist claimed. 

DesertDuck,

No, it doesn't work the way you think.  However, the goal is to get it correct.  We know there are some problems reporting substitutions correctly.  We also know that scorekeepers are just like players... they make mistakes at times. We have ways of double checking for mistakes.  Most difficult are scorers judgment, things like when it is scored a hit or an error.

I should add what many already know... Stats are the least important of all the data we collect.  I wont go so far as to say they are unimportant, but they are more interesting than important.  Colleges don't recruit by using stats, MLB clubs don't draft by using stats.  However certain stats can create some interest.  Batting average in a tournament isn't one of those stats that draw much interest.  ERA isn't a stat that draws interest.  Point is the very best prospect at an event could have some of the worst stats at that event. 

That said, I can understand why everyone wants the stats to be correct and so do we..

For the record, I am for the new software but I do think that a greater emphasis/training will need to be implemented to those doing the scoring. I would like to hear more about the philosophy of stats not mattering to colleges or MLB. When stated before on this forum, that made sense because stats on GC are parent driven, etc.

However, now that the stats are able to be viewed on an individual PG profile, I would say that stats will matter more than ever. I get, and accept, that those doing the recruiting and scouting look to many things to do their jobs, but it doesn't make sense to create a software that was intended to be shown on profiles for them not to matter. People will be influenced by stats and they will use them as part of the process, especially in the higher profile tournaments.