Skip to main content

Reply to "15u WWBA"

Elijah,

Agree that we need more good scorekeepers.  DiamondKast isn't any more difficult to use than scoring apps we have used before.  Obviously it takes a lot of good scorekeepers for these big tournaments.  Our goal is to find as many great scorekeepers as possible.

Everything is important, stats can be important.  The point I was trying to make is that out of all the data and information we gather, traditional stats are not the most important to college recruiters and MLB Scouts. If stats were that important the scouts and recruiters could just stay home and look at the stats. We noticed many years ago that the very best teams, loaded with DI commits, that play deep into the playoffs... Never seem to have the best hitting stats.  Yet we know they have a lot of the best hitters.  What happens is everyone they play tends to throw their best pitcher against those teams.  So they actually face much tougher competition even though everyone is playing in the same tournament.  My point is the stats can be very misleading.

I will say this, there are some stats that really are revealing.  K/BB for pitchers and K, XBH, HR, and advanced stats for hitters, for example.  Things like launch angle and exit velocity are becoming more important.  I wish we could compile average exit velocity on every fair ball, maybe we can at some point.

Anyway, I hope you are right about statistics mattering more than ever.  College coaches and scouts were raving about DiamondKast mostly because they could be at one game and see what was going on at another.  The number one thing they talked about was being able to get velocity readings on the pitchers with a scoring app..

I think stats become more important as they accumulate over time.  Our goal is to do more with advanced metrics/stats/data.