Skip to main content

Reply to "2015 RHP and 3rd Baseman"

Welcome 2015! Sounds to me that your son is on the right path. I can tell you from experience that it's a slow dance. Than, all at once, it turns into a fast dance. Enjoy the ride, but know that it will be painful.

My son's pitching coach (16 yrs. MLB) always had him shut down in the fall, 2-3 month. However, he did continue to train and condition, just no throwing. Turns out to have been good advice.

Have your son visit as many schools as he can. It's great practice for when it really counts. It will also give him some insight to draw from of what kind of school he likes.

We would go by schools, take a tour on our own, and have our son find the baseball office and he would walk in and introduce himself. In almost every case he well received. He would give them a baseball/academic resume.

As he got closer to his Junior year. He would now reach out to coaches and set appointments. In most cases, this worked out as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the love thing, it will come. The 90 plus guys get the early love. I know of a few kids that were their (86mph) at his age and are playing college ball today. My son topped out at 85-87 junior year. Although he's a lefty, he didn't much love until the summer after junior year.

Lastly, since he's not a 90 plus guy right now, make sure his grades are the best they can be. That will give many other opportunities.  My son was able to secure academic money because of his grades/test scores.

Good luck!