Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 College Season"

Swampboy posted:
chefmike7777 posted:

Been a while since I have posted. Reality has hit. 2  weekends ago, Jeremy got to start a game (2nd one of year). First inning 2 HPB, 2 BB, 1 double 3 singles, 1 wild pitch, 1 error by him throwing a sac bunt into right field   - 6 runs. Lasted 2 more inning with 2 hits given up in each but no runs.  Last Saturday, going in bottom 9 with 5-0 lead. 4 hits including a double and 3 earned runs.

Seems like he has lost a bit of velo but what he has really lost in location. Getting to many pitches across the middle of plate or in on batters (5 HPB in last 8 IP)

He is, as you can expect, very frustrated with himself. That being said, he is  pitching pain free, had a great academic junior year, is considered a leader on the team. So it is all relative.

I feel your pain.

I've been following him.

That's a tough rotation to break into with three starters and the closer all posting ERAs below 2.10.  

But even with these recent glitches, JR has a strong track record. 

Here's hoping he works through it, gets more chances, and figures it out.

Best wishes,

Oh I know about the strong rotation, those guys and the closer are good! Until last weekend he was the 5th guy under 2.10 ERA, Those 5 were hot. All but one has had a rough outing lately. Jeremy just has had 2 in short innings.  I laughed for a few weeks when he was "hot" not giving up any runs and pitching really well. For most part those around the program knew the projection pre season is he would be a starter once they got up his pitch count. So lots of other parents were asking me when he was going to be one of the weekend starting positions. I kept saying -"who are you going to not start? The guy that gave up 2 runs in 7 innings because the other 2 gave up 0?" . All of those guys have gotten their opportunity and run with it. No way you pull one of them, just because my son was expected pre season to get that spot. I understand that. He understands that. He thought he would be 4th starter when we had 4 league games in the weekend and that is what happened. It just did not go well. That might still happen for the other 2 weekends left of 4 game weekends. Or even though he had a rough couple of relief outings, I think he is still counted as one of their guys to rely on in the pen. So they may try someone else as 4th starter and have him be a key reliever. Totally up to how he performs and what is best for team.

He, I, and rest of my family has always been that way. Whether my son (whichever one) was best player or just cheering on the team. Between my 3 boys we have run the whole gamut of where they fit on a team. Best part of each of them getting to feel a part of all the levels on a team is they get to experience that feeling and grow from it.