Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 draft"

cabbagedad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Good place to tell this story...  it bounces around a bit...

We had a 2014 in the program I coach, RHP, very athletic, perfect projectable body, effortless arm action, clearly had more than the low/mid 80's he progressed to during his junior and senior HS years.  This kid never played much travel (OK, none).  He also played HS soccer.  Just enjoyed playing.  Frequent check-ins for college playing aspirations were always met by the same... "Nah, just gonna get my business degree and work for my dad".  

Finally, late senior year, we were able to sort of back door him into a recruiting event where a D1 coach took interest.  The player then, reluctantly, played a summer college season with a team that had some degree of connection to this school.  He ended up going to the school as a preferred walk on, making the squad but red-shirting as a freshman, getting some quality playing time the next year and blowing up in a very good way this year as a redshirt soph.  He is touching 95, top arm for a good D1 in the Big West conference, competing well against the likes of Long Beach St and Fullerton.  Finished 8-1, 1.95 ERA and a projected top 200 draft pick!

Small world tie in -  Meanwhile, son's SF State roommates from last year and Picked Off and his wife join us for a GREAT visit over part of the Holiday weekend (could make for a lengthy post on it's own) a few days ago.  Part of the get-together was attending the college game where this player was getting his last start.  Well, each of the roommates ran across old baseball connections during the evening.  We were talking about this pitcher and I mentioned that he was projected somewhere top 200.  The couple sitting in front of us overheard, pulled out their rankings on their smartphone and pointed out that he was #150 something.  Then, they pointed out that their son, the starting pitcher for the opposition, was #140 something.  Pretty cool.  Small world.  We have a few guys we'll be following closely on draft day.

The kid in this story from our HS really climbed the board the last few weeks...  went 45th overall!!

Our town and HS is pretty small.  Pretty cool... even my phone is ringing off the hook.  One guy texts... "you had a hand in the 45th overall pick".  I replied... heck yeah, I said "do that again" pretty often

I'm on my way up to SLO tomorrow.  It's always great to see a Calpoly kid get drafted!