Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 Stanford Camp Dates Released"

2019Dad posted:
JCG posted:

I didn't recall what my 2017 got at Stanford Camp 2 last summer. Just looked it up, and I will share in the hope that  it's a helpful data point.

7 Very good high school ability, outside chance to be drafted, starter in Division 1 by junior year in college

Two things about that #1 - he had a mediocre camp at best.  He hit just okay. He didn't bring a good set of turf shoes so he ran a 7.05 60 after posting a 6.5 at HF a couple weeks earlier.  Also had a hard time with IF drills as a result.   #2  - he's going to be playing D3.  He a little D1 interest but committed to D3 early.  Drafted?  I doubt they know his name.

Right. But how is that different than this? These are the measurables of a 2019 player (3B/RHP) who recently attended a PG showcase and got a 7.0 rating:

• 60 yard dash: 7.65
  • Top FB Velo: 68 mph
  • IF Velo: 66 mph
  • Exit velo: 75 mph

On the PG scale, that 7.0 rating translates to: "Potential low round pick, D1 prospect or top level Juco, DII"

If those numbers are a 7.0 PG rating, then my kid really got screwed on his score (assuming they mean anything to anyone).....lol

Guess they figured a low first time number means he'll likely come back and spend another '8 bills' for a more realistic number...... (which has always been the rub on those PG showcase scores). Now way I'd donate again when the guy hitting fungo's couldn't even get one to the kids' backhand side....

On the other hand, if a kid really is a 5, no sense in pissin' dad off so much he doesn't come back to donate again the next year?

Kind of a 'fine line' has to be walked, I guess......

Last edited by DesertDuck