Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 Pounding the Pavement..."

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. He did ramp things up (started casting that wider net) a few months ago, end of summer, after him and his teammates realized that the coaches from their travel team weren't doing anything to help them. They told them all season they were making phone calls and then nothing. Only 2 scouts ever came to watch their team the entire summer season. They told all the boys there were a couple of D2s in South Carolina where they had connections and then the season ended and that was the end of it, nobody heard a thing. Fall came around and he played with his HS, which his HS coach has done more for him in that regards. He called the local D2 on my son's list, spoke to the coach and they sent a guy to watch my son at the next tournament. Things heated up and then cooled down. We've been told that was because they are talking to other catchers, still deciding. Not sure the truth to the reasoning, but really hate when things are sugar coated. Being more realists, would like someone to step up and tell my son to look elsewhere point blank.

Son has never had rose colored glasses, his coaches (HS and travel) have said they see him as a good fit at a D2 or for sure at D3, NAIA, JUCO. His HS coach is supposed to be speaking with the local JUCO coach. During showcase last week, son spoke to a JUCO coach who said they need catchers and told him he liked my son's performance and told him to email him some info.

So, he showcased last weekend and this weekend in the PG 2018 Uncommitted. He did the PBR Unsigned senior games in late summer, spoke to a couple coaches and his top D2 coach there.  Really not sure where else to showcase. Choosing showcases is tough too, since he's done a couple that were complete money grabs - cancelled the games with out a blink of an eye and cut the day short, exaggerated the scout attendance.  The local D2 (mentioned above) that's at the top of his list is having another camp next weekend, and he's debating on going. Thinks he shouldn't waste the money. I'm not sure  either. He's getting ready for spring and looking forward to it.

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate all of the advice.