Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 commit"

RJM posted:

I have another view. This is about college. Keep the colleges away until post soph year. Let the kid have an opportunity to grow up and make better decisions about his education.

I strongly agree!   My kid is an 8th Grader.   As all of you know who have been through parenting (I have a 25 year old son, too, so this isn't my first rodeo), kids change rapidly and repeatedly from the age of 13/14 through the age of 16/17.   There is no way that 90-99% of 14 year olds have the slightest clue as to what would be the best college experience for them at age 19.   Coaching staffs change rapidly, priorities change over the course of time for both the coaching staff & the player, and the right academic fit is complicated to sort out.

Even the very nature of college baseball itself changes over the course of time.   My son will be a college freshman in 2022.  I feel fairly certain that NCAA Baseball will be a little different in 2022 (and perhaps more so when he's a senior in 2025 or if redshirted in 2026!) than in 2017.  More emphasis on the long ball?   More specialized pitching/shorter stints for pitchers?  More emphasis on small ball?  Who knows.... we're talking about 9-10 years from now!!!!

Without even knowing what the trends of College Baseball will be in the years 2022-2026, let alone how my kid's skill sets might fit into that era of College Baseball, let alone which programs will be strong and most importantly not knowing exactly what type of academic study will best suit him, to think that we as a family could make an educated decision now as to what is best for him as a college fit is foolhardy at best, dangerous at worst, and quite possibly to the detriment of my kid's future.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball