Skip to main content

Reply to "86 vs 96 Exit Velo"

CaCO3Girl posted:
uncoach posted:
B-MoreBeast posted:

Just heard John Smoltz, on MLB Tonight, suggest that average exit velocity should include strikeouts and count them as 0MPH exit speed. General thoughts? Obviously this would change things quite a bit haha

Smoltz makes no sense. Exit velocity is based upon contact. Since striking out involved no contact, it isn't relevant.

KilroyJ posted:
B-MoreBeast posted:

Just heard John Smoltz, on MLB Tonight, suggest that average exit velocity should include strikeouts and count them as 0MPH exit speed. General thoughts? Obviously this would change things quite a bit haha

Then I would suggest that a pitcher's BB stat include all balls thrown during the game, divided by 4.

I can't figure out if I am missing the point or if it is YOU guys.

1. MANY of the big time hitters are striking out way more than their counterparts because they are trying to hit the HR rather than the single.  Smoltz was just trying to say, in the Smoltz way, that HR's are great but not if you strike out the other half of the time.  If we started counting the strike outs against the all consuming 150+mph exit velocity then maybe guys would avoid striking out more and get the hits the teams needs.

2. Counting up the balls and dividing by four is just silly.  If a pitcher throws three strikes in a row too often he won't be pitching for long, or in the MLB.

Your first point is the exact point Smoltz was making.