Skip to main content

Reply to "Advisor (Agent) / Draft Questions"

Son picked advisor.  He was in college and went with the one he was comfortable with, who works only by referrals. We have yet to meet him.  

So, not only the 4% advisors fee and 25% Federal Tax, son had another 5+% in state tax that wasnt taken out of his check, but still an obligation.  When I did his estimated taxes and asked for "a huge check" to send to the state treasury, he was not pleased.  Life lessons.

Some baseball advisors have financial advisors, folks to help with relocating, home buying, car purchases, paying monthly bills, etc. as part of their package.  Some of these services come with additional costs.  If you are not versed in taxes or investing, these services could be of help. Or get the services on your own locally.  Personally, I could see how these additional services would be of help to a young wife of an MLB player with kids.  For a minor leaguer on $1100 a month salary .... not so much. If they have had an apartment in college and paid their own bills, they will be ok.

If your son is predicted to go in the top 10 rounds as a high school player, or college junior, I would recommend an advisor.  Deals can be made before the draft of going in later rounds for lots more money, and an advisor can help with that.

Remember, it is not costing YOU anything.