Skip to main content

Reply to "American Legion WS"

Golfman25 posted:
Texas 2 Sons posted:

I saw that the WS was being shown on TV, so I turned over to watch. I'm totally shocked how poor the quality of play is. Both starting pitchers are topping out at 74-75, and 1 of them has a no hitter thru 5 innings. Is this really the level of play in most leagues? These are all rising juniors thru outgoing seniors. Just curious, not meaning to offend anyone.

That's average for highs schools.  And many travel teams.  Not every kid throws 80-90.  

Not sure where that's average for HS, especially Varsity. We might have faced a couple of pitchers that were below 80 this year in our district, but they were 77-79. Most were 80-85, but 3 or 4 threw 87-90. Even in select, most pitchers threw high 70 's to high 80's.

As far as the game I saw, don't remember which teams were playing. I do know the majority of the kids had full beards. All 4 pitchers I saw threw about the same speed, with the closer for the winning team hitting 77. I saw curve balls at 57-58. It's the 1st game I've ever seen in Legion ball, and since it was in the WS I assumed they were 2 of the best. But I did ask if this was normal and I didn't mean to offend anyone. 

Good luck to your son MomLW and his team.

Last edited by Texas 2 Sons