Skip to main content

Reply to "Are keyboards creating high-school coach killers?"

Coach_May posted:

It is very easy to sit back and take shots at people. Coaches are no different. Do I have to say it again? Ok I will go ahead and say it. There are bad coaches. There are average coaches. There are good coaches. But before people simply take shots I wish they could consider some things. How many of those people taking shots have ever gone to a game their son was not playing in? How invested will they be in this program once their kid is no longer in it? When was the last time they missed time with their family to spend it with someone else's kid? When was the last time they spent 3 hours in a day working with other people's kids? Have they ever had to make out a line up? Have they ever had to cut a player? Have they ever been responsible for anything other than just making sure their kid was there? 

I know I spend way more time with other peoples kids than I do with my own family. I have no idea how it will break down this year but I doubt I make more than a couple bucks an hour. It's very easy to bash and trash. What have these bashers and trashers done? Graced us with letting us coach their stud? Before he was here we never saw you. After he leaves we will never see you again. But while you are here your going to make sure we do things the way you think they should be done. Ok.

I think some people would benefit from having to invest a little more in the process than just dropping the kid off at school and picking him up after practice. Maybe look a little deeper and put yourself in someone else's shoes? I say all of this and have ZERO complaints with my parents. They are awesome. They support our program and they have raised some great young men. I challenge anyone who has never coached to coach. I challenge those who find themselves constantly having issues with coaches to coach. Maybe that would help you out. 

I wish everyone of my players could start. I wish everyone of my players would have a great game. I wish everyone of my players was happy and right where they wanted to be 100 percent of the time. But guess what life isn't like that. Maybe learning to deal with a bad coach is more of a blessing than having a good coach? Maybe we get exactly what were supposed to get to make us who we need to be? Maybe if we stop allowing ourselves to be victims we can find a way to be champions? But that dang Coach he just screws it all up. It's ok Coach. In a few years it will be the boss. It will be the Cop. It will be the wife. You will be replaced by something else. Victims are like that. They have no shortage of excuses to find. Don't get mad at them. That's just what they do. 

Before I Paste the following let me preface it.  My son has generally been one of the main players on any team he played on so we have NEVER complained about playing time.  He was a bench player on an AAU team that was really really good and it elevated his game just practicing with them and getting some minutes in games.  We were delighted with the coach and the experience.  He could not do three sports at a high level so AAU had to go but I still talk to that coach.  Great guy, great coach.  Love him and its the most my son has ever sat.  He doesn't play baseball for his high school but rather plays full time travel.  Not cause he is too good or cause I hate the coach.  I am not overly fond of the coach but even if we loved him it doesn't make sense to pay $300 to high school when we can play the same amount of games for the fee we already paid the travel organization.  Plus he has to lift right after school and HS baseball gets in the way, and football will probably pay the bills for college.  The high school football experience has been the most fun I have ever had as a sports parent.  He is on the best travel team he has ever been on for this summer.  So things are going great.  I don't post this to be bitter or confrontational.  Just to show vividly how there are two sides to the coin.  I have been a coach.  I have coached from 5th graders to Head varsity in basketball and many years of baseball as well from youth to asst. varsity.  And I did much of that before becoming a parent.  After having kids I got a new perspective.  I really admire the parents of the subs who come every game and support the team.  I can't imagine what that feels like.  Maybe in college it will be my turn.  Most coaches tend to have kids who play not sit.  And there is some favoritism in the good ole boy network for other coaches kids lets be honest.  So its sometimes hard for coaches to relate to the less fortunate parents.  So with that in mind and in the spirit of understanding and truly trying to see both sides I paste the following...

It is very easy to sit back and take shots at people. Parents are no different. Do I have to say it again? Ok I will go ahead and say it. There are bad parents. There are average parents. There are good parents. But before coaches simply take shots I wish they could consider some things. How many of those coaches taking shots have ever gone to a game their son was not playing in when maybe he should have been? How invested will they be in this player once he is no longer in their program? When was the last time they missed time seeing their kid play to spend it working to pay the bills? When was the last time they spent 3 hours in a day watching their kid sit both games of a double header? Have they ever had a kid not regularly in a line up? Have they ever had a kid cut? Have they ever been responsible for anything other than just making sure they win? 

I know I spend way more time with work than I do with my own family. I have no idea how it will break down this year but I know we will spend a small fortune on his sports. It's very easy to bash and trash. What have these bashers and trashers done? Graced us with their ego driven coaching greatness? Before our son was a prospect/player we never saw you. After he leaves we will never see you again. But while we are here you're going to make sure we do things the way you think they should be done. Ok.

I think some coaches would benefit from having to invest a little more in the process than just having fun running practice, making lineups and being a mini dictator. Maybe look a little deeper and put yourself in someone else's shoes? I say all of this and have minimal complaints with my kids coaches. They are ok. They do their job and we have a winning tradition. I challenge anyone who has never parented to parent. I challenge coaches who find themselves constantly having issues with parents to parent. Maybe that would help you out. 

I wish everyone of my kids coaches was great. I wish everyone of my kids coaches would have great knowledge. I wish everyone of my kids coaches was happy and right where they wanted to be 100 percent of the time. But guess what life isn't like that. Maybe learning to deal with a bad parent is more of a blessing than having a good parent? Maybe we get exactly what we're supposed to get to make us who we need to be? Maybe if we stop allowing ourselves to be victims we can find a way to be champions? But that dang parent he just screws it all up. It's ok. In a few years it will be the boss. It will be the Cop. It will be the wife. Parents will be replaced by something else. Victims are like that. They have no shortage of excuses to find. Don't get mad at them. That's just what they do.