Skip to main content

Reply to "Are keyboards creating high-school coach killers?"

Speaking about extra curricular axtivities that aren't sports and how they are perceived ...

Our school district has a mandatory two year musical instrument requirement. My kids were in band and/or orchestra in from 4th grade through middle school. My daughter continued into high school when she decided she had to cut back activities. 

Both kids said once past the mandatory stage the competition for first instrument in a section was fierce. They thought it was far more intense than any sports tryout. Parents of top musicians hung out at practice until the conductor kicked them out for speaking out. Parents acted like agents. 

The violin group was all Asian kids. It was the most intense competition in the orchestra. My kids said when first violin was announced every kid who didn't get it burst out crying. 

In 4th grade my son played the tortured moose. He was under the impression it was a trumpet. I made him practice in the basement with the door closed. Fortunately, he discovered in 5th grade he could play the sax and was much better at it.

Not that I had any influence. But I played CD’s and showed him pictures of cool dudes playing the sax. There are some excellent trumpet players. But no one looks cool playing the trumpet.