Skip to main content

Reply to "Are Weighted Baseball Velocity Programs Safe and Effective"

roothog66 posted:
gunner34 posted:

As a follow up i saw the study your talking about and what stood out to me was the max effort throws 3 times a week which is excessive,  saw Brent Porciaou (sp)  talking about it on twitter and went back and forth with him as well.   I dont think the plan they used in the study is safe and I wouldnt do something like that.  Brent's throwing plan is predicated on lifting weights getting stronger,  movement training and proper mechanics  which I also think are important and Im sure what they are doing on sight at Driveline as well.  

It wasn't actually Brent's plan - Brent would never even try it. It was a program initiated by Mike Reinhold for his study. I believe he built a strawman program, taking the most brutal, problematic pieces he could find and stitching them together. Recovery is such an integral part of any strength-based program and this one had none.

On another note, speaking from experience - make him use the MarcPro after every session of throwing whether he thinks he needs it or not. It speeds up recovery and I have noticed a remarkable difference in the speed of velocity development when comparing my pitchers who use it and those that don'r.

Like I said, I normally don't comment, but yeah, if you own a Marc Pro you should be using it every single high intensity day at the very least. The results are incredible, and this comes from someone who is a huge skeptic about these things.