Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking a College Coach Where One Stands in the Recruiting Process"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

I'll throw out a question to maybe push the conversation.

What, if any, conversation has been had between your son and a coach(es) about the possibility of of an offer?  Please be as specific (without personal/identifying details of course) as I image the different schools may be at different points in the process.

Starting with Power5, is your son potentially a back-up as they chase someone higher on the board?  As it relates to mid-major, are they offering other 2019's or have they mentioned how they have historically operated as it relates to offers?  

Great question - I will stick to the out of state power 5 mentioned in the original post. Although in a power 5, they are not a perennial powerhouse in terms of baseball. This Power 5 has only committed a few 2019s and Recruiting Coordinator told son that they are looking for 3-4 more. RC explained how a typical athletic scholarship package would work and what the expectation was for living off campus after sophomore year to save $$$ by not having to pay on campus dorm/food. RC spoke a lot about the culture of the school and also gave son a tour of the athletic facilities as well as explaining all of the fringe benefits afforded to athletes. So, the "possibility" of an offer was not directly discussed. This is why I'm curious if my advice (not direction, just advice) to son should be to call RC and lay it out there and say "you're my top choice - I'm ready to commit....where do I stand?"