Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking a College Coach Where One Stands in the Recruiting Process"

fenwaysouth posted:
WestCoastPapa posted:

At what point (if any) is it appropriate to simply tell a head coach or recruiting coordinator, respectfully and politely of course, that he is ready to commit and would like to know where he stands in their recruiting? Especially to an of out of state school that son qualifies for reduced tuition due to high grades and SAT? He has already visited school and has gotten to know the coaches.

This probably isn't the order most people pursue this, but then again most people don't have an abundance of leverage.  The coaches decide what to do and when to do it in almost all cases.  Listen and take their cues.

So, I think you are getting ahead of yourself.   Slow it down.  So, I think when the coaches have demonstrated serious interest (OV, un-OV, send transcripts, request financial package, etc....) it is fair for your son to ask where he stands on their board.   How they answer this question can tell you a lot about how they see him.   In my experience, you will know very quickly.

When they offer, and you have considered all your options then it is alright to tell them you are ready to commit.  

JMO and Good Luck!

Great topic, WestCoastPapa.

My son has not found recruiting coordinators to be very forthcoming on the topic of "where do I stand on your board?" 

My takeaway is that unless the kid is an overwhelmingly clear cut recruit -- that is, there is no doubt they want him in their program -- these coaches want to keep their options open for as long as they can. If you're a "B" recruit (what I would describe as "acceptable, but not overwhelming") -- you're either a back-up in case they don't get someone rated higher, or you're someone who would be OK, but they want to see if they can get someone better -- then their job is to keep you warm in the meantime. So they respond to the kids' texts right away, they offer encouragement, they offer an un-OV, they give you the tour, etc., but they don't need to move, now