Skip to main content

Reply to "Asking a College Coach Where One Stands in the Recruiting Process"

Trust In Him posted:

I would refrain from hinting where I might go based on other factors.  A good thorough program already knows what the player can get academically/grants if they are really interested.  They want to give minimum athletic but at the same time the overall picture would be little money spent out of pocket of student.  Is your son the one discussing this with HC or RC?  Another reason to stay away.  Asking a lot from a 17/18 year old to know what to say in a non-confrontational manner.  I myself never spoke to the coaches during the process except on the school visit.  All communications were done through son.  Correct me if wrong but I would guess coaches want to deal with player directly, to get an idea of their personality, thoughts, etc.  Last thing they want is a vocal parent who is used to daddy ball.  For my son he had 2 D-1 schools narrowed down.  #2 on list called and made an offer, nothing fantastic but not minimum.  15 minutes later #1 school called son to "find out where he is at". Uncanny both offers came in within 15 of each other, as if #1 school "knew" an offer was just made (did not post on social media).  Luckily my son and I chatted for 14 minutes (lol) about the offer and what the next step was, which included to be honest with both coaches, and to call coach #1 the following day to inform him son will be deciding "soon".  Anyways, when HC called 15 mins later son told him he received an offer from a school and was seriously considering it.  Son played it cool in that no particulars were told, just hinted at a range.  HC made an offer and said that is all he can do.  Son asked for 72 hours to think about it, they hung up.  10 mins later HC called back and gave a better offer after "juggling" some numbers around.  Son said  he will let HC know in 24 hrs after he tells parents what is happening.  We discussed many things but ultimately decided not to make this a bidding war.  Both coaches were upfront  with the best they can do, and son made a point to tell them both HC do not know anything about the other's offer, that we were happy with a realistic offer.  It goes a lot to character I feel.  Sure if we made it a bidding war son might have gotten a better deal, but end of day he was going to his #1 choice school on a scholarship.  I'm glad I don't have to go through that again lol.

Some of the academic grants are from High School GPA/Standardized test scores, of course.  But future years academic grants are often dependent on their college grades.  Understand what financial risk you are assuming after you research the academic monies.

Example around here.  Freshman year, academic monies paid based on his HS grades/scores.  sophmore year, doesn't maintain the 3.2 GPA required to continue getting the academic money.  Dad gets a $17,000 bill he wasn't expecting, with possibly two more similar bills coming next two years.