Skip to main content

Reply to "Batters as Artists"

I don't have any insight but I do have an observation and an anecdote.

The observation is that, as Mark Twain said,  "There is no such thing as a new idea," so anytime a kid does anything stupid, chances are 100% that he picked it up somewhere, these days usually from social media or YouTube.  Social media and the internet may have quickened the pace by which dumb (and smart)  ideas permeate the culture, but there have always been dumb ideas.

The anecdote is that I've seen what you describe happen exactly once, in a 13U travel ball game 6 years ago. A huge man-child on really good team we were playing did that and was promptly ejected.  Somebody recently posted the video you linked to on Facebook, and I mentioned this to a guy I was coaching with back then, and he said, oh yeah, that won us the game. That kid was a beast.  

Funny thing is the kid went on to become a great player on arguably the best HS program in NorCal. My son happened to play with him during a showcase event, and while he looked like pro wrestler,  he turned out to be the sweetest kid you could ever hope to meet. He's now a freshman playing D1 baseball.   So the good news is that these kids misbehaving on your field may yet turn out ok.

Last edited by JCG