Skip to main content

Reply to "Batting average over .700!"

Before my son was drafted out of HS the teams most interested in him asked me to forward his high school stats. I was surprised by this because they had seen him pitch on multiple occasions. When I asked if they really used high school stats one scout said that when it comes down to drafting a player and they have two guys they like the same...sometimes the stats can be used as part of a tie breaker. Remember on draft day scouts are fighting for "their guy" so any bit of information available can come into play. He also said while the scouts use the "eye test" front office personnel also like to see the numbers.

While I agree scouts don't look at stats to determine whether or not they should draft/recruit someone...I do think that stats are at least looked as part of the equation.

By the way the kid in the article that the OP shared is someone my youngest son played travel ball with. It was a couple years ago however even at that age he was an absolute stud. I don't know if the .700 is legit or not however in a prestigious HS All Star tournament hosted by the Phillies (Carpenter Cup) he batted .500 as a junior and that was against the best pitching in the tri-state area.
Last edited by jerseydad