Skip to main content

Reply to "Batting average over .700!"

quote:
Originally posted by NP13:
I do not know how real the numbers are but in support of jerseydad, I can tell you that he can play and FWIW has always been a top player in the region against any competition. I would like to coach a team he couldn't make based on skill alone...that would be a very good team.

There’s never been any question about the kid’s abilities. The only question has been the validity of the numbers. When you have 5 starters batting over .500, 2 over .600, and 1 over .700, with a pitching staff that has a team ERA of 4.10 but are only 4-8 overall and 0-5 in league, there’s something wrong somewhere.

I’m gonna make and educated guess and say he’s very likely a real high .400 to low .500 kid at best. What people don’t seem to understand, is just how freaking good that is. But there often seems to be some kind of oneupsmanship that has to go on when stats are talked about. Here’s a perfect example.

Yesterday, our #1 threw a perfect game with 14 Ks, only using 77 pitches, and going to 0-2 on 12 of the 18 batters he threw a 1st pitch strike to. I got an e-mail this morning from a fellow down in SoCal who heard about it, and he tells me he had a kid throw a no-no who had 19 Ks, and the only player that got on reached on CI. Well if that story is true or not, I don’t know and frankly don’t care, but it illustrates how this stuff has the creeping numbers syndrome.