Skip to main content

Reply to "bonus money"

Swampboy posted:
RJM posted:

There are a handful of players who have attended college full time and played minors when not attending class. It's not common. Brad Ausmus attended Dartmouth but played in the minors. Ken Holtzman did the same at Illinois.

Granted. College players can try to negotiate for accommodations to complete their degrees.

I know a young man drafted after his junior year from a high academic school where he was an excellent student who was able to negotiate be freed from his baseball obligations each of his first two years as a pro in time to attend the fall semester as a full time student and graduate only a semester later than he would have if he had not signed at all.

However, Kingsman seems to envision an unrealistic scenario involving a high school player who takes the pro money and then heads off to college with only a vague future obligation to the team that paid him. As TPM pointed out, having your cake and eating it, too, isn't one of the choices. 

Appologies, I am ignorant of these things. That is why I go ton the forum. Really didn't envision anything  except to ask the question. Thanks, Kingsman