Skip to main content

Reply to "Bunting Alive and Well"

To me Old School by the Book is leadoff hitter gets on you bunt him to second or first two guys get on then you bunt them over.  Basically you're playing for one run in the first situation and one run but hope for two in the second situation.  Well if you play for one run then you tend to get one run and that won't help you win many games.  Few days ago the Cubs were playing the Pirates and the first two runners got on.  Both announcers said it was time to bunt with 0 out and pinch hitter coming up for pitcher in a 0-0 game.  Guy swung away and got a double scoring one run so now runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.  Next three guys all got out without scoring another run.  Obviously it's hard to say what would happen by doing something different but by swinging away the Cubs created a higher chance of scoring 2 runs or more but they failed to do it.  By swinging away they scored a run and controlled all 3 outs while runners were in a great position to add to it.  By bunting there they decrease their odds of scoring by using an out to move them 90 feet.  I'm not real smart but I like the higher chances of scoring better than the lower chances.