Skip to main content

Reply to "Bunting Alive and Well"

coach2709 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
coach2709 posted:

To me Old School by the Book is leadoff hitter gets on you bunt him to second or first two guys get on then you bunt them over.  Basically you're playing for one run in the first situation and one run but hope for two in the second situation.  Well if you play for one run then you tend to get one run and that won't help you win many games.  Few days ago the Cubs were playing the Pirates and the first two runners got on.  Both announcers said it was time to bunt with 0 out and pinch hitter coming up for pitcher in a 0-0 game.  Guy swung away and got a double scoring one run so now runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.  Next three guys all got out without scoring another run.  Obviously it's hard to say what would happen by doing something different but by swinging away the Cubs created a higher chance of scoring 2 runs or more but they failed to do it.  By swinging away they scored a run and controlled all 3 outs while runners were in a great position to add to it.  By bunting there they decrease their odds of scoring by using an out to move them 90 feet.  I'm not real smart but I like the higher chances of scoring better than the lower chances.

But we can't ignore the fact that %'s are way higher to get a bunt down than to get a hit. Yes, crooked numbers are better than one but one is WAY better than none.  If playing a competitive game with decent pitching, I've found that getting that first run is very important.  Again, tons of variables.  If you have a lineup full of bangers, totally different story.  But even then, who do they bang against?  We are currently in our Spring Break tourney.  We play a few teams with solid state rankings.  Their offensive stats are not impressive.  But they both play in very strong highest classification leagues.  They bang very well against average teams.  They have good pitching.  In their league, I'm sure they take a more situational approach and include the bunt.  You could tell that was the case as one used the bunt consistently even against smaller schools in the tourney until they had a decent lead.

With no outs, moving a guy to second to give a couple good hitters a chance at scoring him is usually not a bad strategy.  Also, HS pitchers and defenses typically feel more pressure with runners in scoring position than with an R1.  Sorry, probably opening the floodgates here but it is the OP topic, so I guess that's OK.

More than one ways...  personnel and opponent factor in largely.

I agree with everything you said and wanted to make some of those points too but stupid teaching got in the way.  Took me about 3 hours of off and on typing just to get that LOL.  Lots of variables as you said and I will never say bunting in what I described above is the wrong strategy.  It's a very conservative strategy and I'm an aggressive guy who wants crooked numbers.  I typically won't bunt until late in the game if we are down one, tied or need an insurance run.  I'm usually telling my guys to hit it.  But if we are facing that stud you're talking about then I am looking to bunt earlier.  

What I've discovered that works for me is that this helps my guys but into bunting.  They know I want them to swing the bat.  They want to swing the bat so they are getting to do what they want to do.  But they also know that if I give the bunt sign then it's an important time in the game and giving up their at bat is what's best for the team.  We rarely failed in getting the bunt down.  Now that I'm coaching softball it still works with them.  

Yeah, I should have added... we do take an approach that is not purely old school.  When we bunt early, we put more focus on bunting for a hit.  Yes, we really want to move the runner but we will square a bit later and look to lay it down third and be fairly aggressive with the target line closer to the foul line than P, giving us a good chance at advancing the runner, not sacrificing an out and adding a runner.

Another interesting observation over the years...

It seems like a great deal of our crooked number innings start with the process of moving the runner over to score one.  I realize this can be self-fulfilling but still...

Last edited by cabbagedad