Skip to main content

Reply to "Bunting Alive and Well"

Yes I will agree there is a difference in sacrifice bunt and bunt for a hit but there are times bunting for a basehit is not the best move.  Two examples - obviously I'm a huge Cubs fan (literally and figuratively) Kyle Schwarber dropped a bunt to beat the shift a few days ago.  Yes he's in the leadoff spot and he's atypical lead off guy and his goal is to get on base but IMO that's a waste of his ability to mash.  Now maybe ONE at bat it's a good thing but to break the shift used on his would take bunting 2 or 3 times a game for several games - if then - to break the shift.  That's a lot of at bats wasted where he could double or homer.  A Billy Hamilton type hitter - sure drop them all day long but not everyone should.

The other example was last week during spring break my high school softball team was in a tournament.  In the second round we were playing a VERY good team and their 3rd or 4th hitter (can't remember now) was just power.  We were up 1-0 the whole game but we were handling her by striking her out on change ups.  In the sixth inning she came up with nobody on and two outs.  She dropped a bunt and we didn't even attempt to throw her out it was so good.  I cannot tell you how big of a relief that was for me to see her do that.  Struck the next girl out and she was stuck on first.  Funny ending is we ended up scoring another run in the bottom of the 6th to go up 2-0 which was good because in the top of the 7th the leadoff hitter crushed a homerun to make it 2-1 but we held on for the win.

I'm just not a huge fan of the bunt I guess.  We practice it because there are times I feel we need to use it (even when I was coaching baseball) but I would rather swing away.  If we play a team that bunts I know we are in for a great game because it does put pressure on you to make plays.  I'm actually glad I'm coaching softball right now because they bunt all the time with the slap and few other types.  Learning to defend that I believe is going to help me when I get back to baseball.  Baseball (and even softball) is a great game because so many ways to attack defenses.