Skip to main content

Reply to "Bunting Alive and Well"

It's hard for me to imagine an offensive philosophy that completely eliminates the bunt as a potential tool in the tool box.

As for guys bunting with 2 strikes, here's something to chew on.  I've seen batters who intentionally foul up their bunting in the expectation that they'll be cleared to swing away.  And I've seen coaches who respond by making their point that what the coach wants them to do controls, not what they want to do.  So either they get it down or they can K, but they aren't going to manipulate their way out of their appointed duties.

At some point, those guys either learn to do it and do it adequately (at least), or they learn how pine feels against their backside.

As for metrics, I think those are skewed by the fact that so many players do not execute the bunt well, so the efficacy of bunting is diminished.  Many of you think the response to that is to abandon bunting.  My response is to make it a point of emphasis on your team.

Some day you'll have two on, one out, late in a tight game with a stud on the mound against you.  And if your team doesn't know how to bunt, the Gods of baseball will visit a double play grounder and a pop out upon you. Or maybe a K or two.