Skip to main content

Reply to "California High School infields"

adbono posted:
cabbagedad posted:

I am dealing with some very misinformed field maintenance personnel and can use some feedback.  Those in California...

How many HS's do you see with a DG infield vs an infield dirt mix? 

How many HS's do you see with a full dirt IF as opposed to having a grass area?

Thanks for any observations and feedback. 

I would try to get ahead of this.  Get the Athletic Director at your HS and both of you go directly to the Athletic Director of your district or conference.  I have seen a number of fields screwed up by maintenance personnel that have no clue. Their one and only concern seems to be how to minimize the regular maintenance. The issue of the playability of the field is lost on them.  Unless they get redirected by whoever they report to you could be in for trouble.

Thanks all.  Keep the responses coming.  FWIW, I am very aware of how crazy the idea is and we have been fighting to get ahead of this for almost ten years.  When we took the program back then, we replaced a DG field with proper IF mix and the improvements were dramatic.  Of course it does require more maintenance and related upkeep materials and Adbono's assessment is exactly what we are up against.  Unfortunately, maintenance supervisors, crews, AD's, admin and board members change out regularly and it seems like every year we are fighting the same fight all over again.  Someone in maintenance "remembers" how much better the DG sandpit held water when it rained and how much less maintenance was involved and they start preaching to the board and admin that we should go back.  This is the very short version.   Just looking for confirmation that no one in California does this any more or to be enlightened otherwise.