Skip to main content

Reply to "Camps and tricky comminucations challenge"

I'm sure if you asked my son he'd have a different answer than I might.  For me it's a balance of short term vs. long term value as well as long term health. In addition, you can add in all the discussions in the forums on the pros/cons of winter camps.

He's ramped up for 6 weeks and he's ready to throw.  The goal for the camp on the 13th is to show that he's ready to play at the next level.  As a primary catcher, he'll be doing all the basic camp stuff which I assume will include ~20 max effort throws in addition to catching bullpens.  However, these schools want to see him pitch.  My assumption is that that adds on as you say another 25 throws.  And a 16 year old in that situation is going to want to light up the gun.

So not a huge workload and he's ready for that.  The issue is that if he were to attend camp the very next day he will face the exact same scenario. There are lots of negative opinions about winter camps, but one of the most common reasons to attend is if the kid can make a great impression on the staff.  My - likely over protective - opinion is that he probably could get it done, but he'd try to light up the gun again to impress and that's an opportunity to get hurt....perhaps not that day but the season starts soon and it's probably a bad idea to start a 4 month season with an arm that's hanging.  And it's likely that he'd probably not be as sharp pitching on day 2 which might defeat the purpose of showing as well as possible.

Sorry for the length of that response