Skip to main content

Reply to "Central Region Playoff thread"

Originally Posted by Emanski's Heroes:

If the choices are RMC, RF&P, and The Diamond, I'd actually rank The Diamond a distant third. I just think the sheer size of the stadium makes it feel empty even when there is a good sized crowd there for high school baseball. If RF&P gets 1,000 people, there is buzz and it's packed and there's energy in the air. If The Diamond gets 1,000 people I just don't get that same electricity. Just my opinion

They close off the upper deck, so it really isn't an issue.  Playing at the Diamond also has the advantages of (1) plenty of parking, (2) proximity to the interstate, (3) fully-staffed concession stands (not some one-man-band who runs out of food halfway through the proceedings), (4) geographical superiority, and (5) spacious dimensions. 

Whereas the intangible "electricity" of RF&P may seem better (and that's debatable), I could just as easily point to the "professional" feel of the Diamond.  And the Diamond unquestionably has a better press box.  The RMC pressbox is also very good for a D-III facility - it can easily accommodate 8 or 9 people, which is far more than a typical RMC game is going to have.

Anyway, I also love Shepherd, although I haven't been there in several years.

Bottom line is that RF&P is fine, but I do expect the scores to be inflated a bit.