Skip to main content

Reply to "Clarification on overturned play"

TPM posted:

Top of the 8th score is tied. 2 outs man on second. Ball hit down the third base line. Home plate umpire calls fair ball , runner scores. Run goes up on scoreboard. Home team HC comes out to argue. Then umpires huddle for about 3-4 minutes and they overturn the play. At that point the visiting HC comes out to argue. Hitter strikes out.

Doesn't matter the outcome of the game, just wondering if I am missing something.

Bad mechanics on PU.  You don't call "fair"... you stay silent... point to fair territory and let the play develop.  If he verbalized "fair ball" the defensive coach had a valid complaint... that his LF "quit" on the play thinking the call was foul.  You can't unring a bell.  The ump made an error and had to eat it.

Another scenario would be that the defensive coach asked for help.. because the ball was so clearly foul.  The PU should not have asked for help as his partner in the B position could not have a better view of the foul line.  PU has fair / foul call on both lines when BU is in B.  As a PU I would not ask for help on fair / foul from my partner in B.  I know his job is watching the runners for touching bases, interference.  He is not watching the ball.  I am not putting him on the spot for my error.   Likewise as a BU, if my partner came to me on that call... I am telling him ... I didn't see the ball - I was watching the runners.  100% your call.

Either way ... bad mechanics / teamwork by the men in blue.