Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach Fired for Negative Culture"

Golfman25 posted:

The problem with these stories is there is not indication of what happened or what the culture was like.  There are basically no facts. 

With that said, I prefer a hard a$$ coach who knows the game.  The guys that enforce discipline and set high expectations are the guys that seem to win.  I can see parents, even some on here, that don't think it's appropriate for a coach to say "_______."  I look at them funny and say, well if the kids did their job they wouldn't have a problem.  Adults are very soft these days.  

Agreed -- the article does not give enough information - per Coach Kibler, he is not being renewed due to a negative culture.  Alderson, a coach at a different HS, makes a reference to parents, but that is not corroborated or supported much in the article.  I would not be surprised at all if it were a factor - perhaps even the determining factor - but we just don't know.

Not so sure about adults being soft now, though.  There are still a lot of tough and disciplinarian parents out there.  When I hear criticism of HS coaches in my area, it often relates more to culture/coaching ability/game management than things like yelling or enforcing discipline.  And those parents aren't running to the AD about it - they tell their kid to suck it up and do the best they can.  Anecdotal I know.  But I wonder if we have a problem with too many soft parents.  Personally I don't think so but its just my opinion.

One thing is for certain - as RPM noted, rarely are parents of "starters" complaining about anything LOL.