Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach Fired for Negative Culture"

As has been mentioned, the article does a good job describing the good things the coach has done, but other than the "negative culture" comment, there is no details on what went wrong.  The article made it seem as if he did have a lot of parent support, so maybe there was something else going on.

As a parent and a coach, I have respect for "tough" coaches.  I don't have a lot of respect for "screamers".  I think there are many in the coaching ranks who don't realize there is a difference.

Tough coaches set standards and hold their players accountable for meeting them. They communicate what the player did wrong, and what the consequences are. Sometimes this is done with a raised voice for emphasis.

Screamers tend to seek out their players faults and use them as a launching pad for the tirade of the day. Their instruction is always reactive rather than preemptive. You develop a culture of players who are trying not to get yelled at and are afraid to make mistakes.

I want my kids playing for tough coaches, because that's how I want them to conduct themselves in life.