Skip to main content

Reply to "Cold Climate Baseball"

BU4ICK,

So, I hate to be the messenger but your son is probably going to have to compromise in some areas of his college selection.   There are always going to be pros and cons.   The question is how much does weather really matter to one of the biggest decisions of your son's life?  To some it is huge and others it is....meh, not so much in the grand scheme of things.   My son was the latter and fairly practical with his choices.  He wanted the best education possible and a job after college.   He did compromise on weather to attend a great academic school and play college baseball.   He's lived his whole life in Virginia, and made the decision to attend college in the northeast.  He had many Californians and Left Coasters on his college team (between 50%-66% depending on the year), and they did just fine adapting (eventually) to the cold northeast.   His practice facilities were indoors during the late Fall, Winter and early Spring.  He knew the practice facilities were pretty awesome, so that helped soften the decision a little bit.  

My son's freshman roomate & teammate (SoCal) had a box of clothes shipped from home to his dorm room.  My wife and I watched him unpack his clothes boxes and his various tank tops, short sleeve shirts, surfer garb, swimming gear, and shorts.  My guess is all those clothes came in "really handy" for the first two weeks of school.    We visited a month and a half later for Parents' weekend and he was ordering winter clothes online.....smart kid!  

I'm not going to lie to you, it is an adjustment both as an athlete and a spectator (hint...bring sleeping bags and many layers of clothes to the early spring games).  It was the one thing my son said he wished he could have changed about his 4 years, but he'd do it again in a heartbeat.   As always, JMO.  I hope that helps you.

Last edited by fenwaysouth