Skip to main content

Reply to "Cold Climate Baseball"

This is the second or third time it's been said recently in a thread that kids at cold weather schools drink more. Since I'm from a cold weather state and my feathers get ruffled whenever I see that, I did a little digging  (link below) and it does appear that the majority of schools with the very highest alcohol arrests are in the "North" with the exception of South Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky, but there are plenty of Southern schools in that next tier.  And Southern schools (and a few in the West) appear to have higher increases in both drug and alcohol use more recently.  Complicated, right?  

Bottom line: teach your kids now (and hopefully well before now) that alcohol and drugs aren't ok  - they're athletes for God's sake, and minors.  Support their self confidence and self esteem so they don't need to be blind sheep following the idiots who drink and take drugs and ruin their lives.  And then have them do what many others here have said: pick the school that is the right fit for them and where they'll be happiest, snow, rain or shine. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/bl...hol-and-drug-arrests