Skip to main content

Reply to "College Athlete Behavior - UCLA Basketball Incident"

Scotty83 posted:
Bulldog 19 posted:

Drawing a blank on the player, but former NFL player pulled his son off Nebraska's football team after he got caught with marijuana. Shoplifting overseas? Yeah, not a wise decision... 

Keyshawn Johnson

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...-the-law-on-his-son/

The elder Johnson said his son needed to “mature” before he went back to Nebraska to continue his career.

Johnson has a close relationship with Cornhuskers coach Mike Riley, who was his offensive coordinator at Southern Cal. And Riley has confirmed the leave of absence for the younger Johnson, who was one of his most celebrated recruits.

“One thing you will not do as my son is you will not embarrass Nebraska, you will not embarrass Mike Riley and you will not embarrass this family,” the elder Johnson said, via Sam McKewon of the Omaha World-Herald. “If you mature and you’re ready to resume your football career and academic goals, then Nebraska will be ready to embrace you.”

The former Jets, Buccaneers, Cowboys, and Panthers wideout said he consulted with Riley and the school’s athletic department. Conspicuously absent from the discussions was Johnson Jr.

“I never asked him,” Johnson Sr. said. “At the end of the day, I don’t think that decision was in his hands. He squandered that decision. He still wants to play football, and he still wants to play for Nebraska. But if you don’t do the things you’re supposed to do, under the guidelines of me, it’s not going to happen. . . .

I love Keyshawn's perspective, and his statement "under the guidelines of me"!

Keyshawn Johnson and LaVar Ball obviously have very different outlooks on life.