Skip to main content

Reply to "College Coach Email"

Congratulations on the connection.  Keep it up with more programs.

Now is the time to put on your "discernment armor". You are going to hear lots of things from recruiting coaches during the next year during your recruitment, so while some of it may be honest, much of it will be to get you to their camp and get you to spend your time and money to help fund their salaries. You have to know that in many programs recruiting and some of the other coaches salaries are paid by camp attendees. So while the interest may be real, it may also be just to get you to their camp. How do you know the difference?  Frankly it is hard to really know for sure, but if you ask questions like. Where did you see me play? What did you like about my performance? What do you think I can improve on? Where do you see me fitting in your program? Do you have me ranked enough to fit on your recruiting board? Where do I rank in my position against other recruits? 

As a young man these are the  straight forward questions you will have to learn to ask coaches who are many years older and mature, so you will need to find a parent or a friend and practice asking them so you become comfortable in situations that you would normally not be. Always remember that recruiting coaches are going to tell you what you want to hear, it is your, and your parents job to filter the BS out. Best of luck in your search