Skip to main content

Reply to "College Commits: Where was the Player 1st Seen, and How Often?"

Here are my responses with some commentary thrown in for what it's worth: Son is a 2019.  We had been marketing him as a RHP/OF, but school to which he has committed wants him as an OF who can pitch:

1) Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to? - Area Code tryouts in Northborough, MA (did not make team [Northeast Yankees] but did play for them in one exhibition in Toronto when they needed bodies because too many players did not have passports! He had a blast).  Thank God for Area Code tryouts! Son was getting a lot of interest from schools in the region (New England and NY) which also happens to be travel coach's sphere of influence. Area Code tryouts had schools in attendance from well beyond that area, including son's school.  

2) What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc? - Winter of sophomore year.  Travel coach chatted him up to a few D-1s who asked that son attend winter camp.  Attended two. One with positive results but no offer (was an Ivy so way too early for that) and the other where coaches were ambivalent but would keep an eye on him.  Also attended a "local" showcase in March with @ 20 schools there along with an MLB scout who invited him to the AC tryouts as a result. Then a handful attended a few of his HS games when he was pitching (still sophomore year).

3) How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc - For commitment school: After Area Code tryout, he had a 5 hour unofficial visit so they could get a feel for his personality and fit and vice versa I guess. Then they (2 ACs) saw him showcase and then play three times all at the PBR Future Games in Indy in August. Offered him after second game of Future games (over the phone). For the other schools - each saw him play for HS and travel teams at least three times, plus UVs for each.  They also saw him showcase twice.  Interestingly enough, one of them was the school where he attended winter camp and they were ambivalent.

4) How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment? - Travel Coach played a significant role with all of the schools in our region. Makes tons of calls for his players and he is honest in his assessments which makes him a credible source.  But we lucked out with the commit school out of the region because travel team AC is an alum who pitched for the school and who remains in contact with the program.  He was a tremendous advocate for my son.

Hope this helps.