Skip to main content

Reply to "College Commits: Where was the Player 1st Seen, and How Often?"

3and2Fastball posted:

So far (and I recognize this is a small sample) there doesn't appear to be a lot of players being seen at Perfect Game events.  Probably just a fluke.  I recognize how valuable a Perfect Game evaluation is....  

There have been a few PG mentions, however a lot of these seem like Headfirst, Showball, Stanford, and College Camp "discoveries"

Just one man's opinion... at a showcase/camp there is a finite number of players. That being said, a player will stand out more if there's a reason for a coach to watch them. Such as an email from the player or a travel/HS coach contacting the college coach. 

At a tournament, there may be as many as 300 teams. While there will also be hundreds of coaches, they need a reason to watch a player. That's where the player emails, and preferably travel coach contacts, come into play. 

Going to a large tournament, sending a couple of emails, and hoping for the best is not a good strategy. A player NEEDS an advocate (travel coach). 

I think that over time you'll become shocked at the players that get picked up by teams, solely because they had the right advocate.