Skip to main content

Reply to "College Commits: Where was the Player 1st Seen, and How Often?"

NYdad2017 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

So far (and I recognize this is a small sample) there doesn't appear to be a lot of players being seen at Perfect Game events.  Probably just a fluke.  I recognize how valuable a Perfect Game evaluation is....  

There have been a few PG mentions, however a lot of these seem like Headfirst, Showball, Stanford, and College Camp "discoveries"

Just one man's opinion... at a showcase/camp there is a finite number of players. That being said, a player will stand out more if there's a reason for a coach to watch them. Such as an email from the player or a travel/HS coach contacting the college coach. 

At a tournament, there may be as many as 300 teams. While there will also be hundreds of coaches, they need a reason to watch a player. That's where the player emails, and preferably travel coach contacts, come into play. 

Going to a large tournament, sending a couple of emails, and hoping for the best is not a good strategy. A player NEEDS an advocate (travel coach). 

I think that over time you'll become shocked at the players that get picked up by teams, solely because they had the right advocate. 

Great point, yes, son was "first seen" at a PG event at LP, but only after some marketing and phone calls back and forth between coach and travel organization..  Son was first seen by current commit school at a LP-PG outing two years prior to committing.  The coach had been contacted via email before the event, he had seen video, he had called son's travel/showcase organization before he showed up to see son's outing.  

I don't believe there's much "stumbling upon talent" at a PG event.  Is there?  Sure.  A lot?  No.  These guys have to go to a PG tourney with a premade list, otherwise it's overwhelming and can be a waste of time for them.  A lot easier for them to "discover" talent at a wam-bam showcase where you get 10-cuts in BP, 5-groundballs, etc.  and 12-15 pitches off a mound, "Next!!" JMO.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach