Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Baseball - 2017"

PlayWithEffort posted:
NYdad2017 posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Good luck to everyone this fall. 

If you don't mind me asking, how big have the rosters been for the fall season? Are the fall roster sizes matching your expectations so far? 

I understand that it will vary by school but I'm curious as to whether you had some expectation going in and whether that lines up with what your player is facing?

I saw that Arkansas, which was mentioned in another post, has 43 on their roster. Though 3 freshmen PO's are already listed as R/S

That's one of the larger roster sizes I have seen in the SEC so far. Most that I've looked at have been around 34-38 or so. Granted, I only checked a few SEC and maybe an ACC team or two. 

Arkansas just hired a new recruiting coordinator (Thompson) this year who is replacing Vitello who took the Tennessee job. It will be interesting to see if they bring that many players in the next class or not. 

They also had some upperclassmen return instead of going in the draft but I don't know if that would have impacted their numbers for the fall.

Just thinking out loud here...

Ok, I guess one last random thought . I wonder how many of those may be trying to walk on? 

Clarification questions - At what point does the roster get whittled down to 35?  More importantly, what is the exact status of a player if they fail to make the 35 man roster?  Are they prohibited from any and all team activities including coach run conditioning?  Also, as for R/S, my understanding is that a kid with any amount of athletic scholarship is "automatically" on the roster (or at least counted as one of the 35 max).  Is there any limit as to how many players can participate in the fall team activities before the cut?