Skip to main content

Reply to "College Prospect Camps"

We found the format for these prospect camps varied greatly.  My oldest son went to a number of them freshmen and sophomore year (in state...little travel....little cost)  and he got a tremendous benefit from it for lots of reasons.  At one camp in particular he got to pick the brain of a Pitching Coach from another high academic school that interested him a lot.  This led to a relationship, eventual recruitment, and offer from that school 18 months later.   The school that hosted the event is an elite baseball school (CWS contenders).   They teach the campers some new things and they are on the look out for talent.....and they will tell you that, but frankly I think they are leading people on.  

I would go to learn, network, figure out what it is about a particular school your son likes or doesn't like.  These camps are a great introduction to see it all and put it into perspective.  At most of the camps, the coaches did offer some sort of assessment in very loose terms....something scribbled on note with their contract information.  In some cases, his travel coach did reach out to the HC to let him know he was coming and his interest level in the school.   The interesting thing about these camps overall was that my son got more traction (freshmen and sophomore year) with the visiting coaches than the hosting coaches.  But again, it was all about learning and networking from what I observed.  

JMO.