Skip to main content

Reply to "College Prospect Camps"

Branson Baseball posted:

As with a lot in college recruiting, "it depends" on when to do to a camp.

If your player is a national class talent now and wants to get in front of the schools on his list now, then that's a reason to go. 

Maybe your player is a late bloomer.  A kid who has nothing to showcase now.  And it will ultimately be best for him to showcase for schools the Summer between his Junior and Senior high school years.  It may still be ok to attend now.   He won't be recruited and is unlikely to get on anyone's radar.  Yet, he might learn something from the instructors.  The family might learn some things about college recruiting. 

An invitation from a RC or HC may mean a lot, or it may mean zero.  Camps are money makers for someone.  The coaches.  A showcase organization.  Invitations can be very specific and mean nothing.  Or they can mean your kid is already on the radar...but then you'd probably know it beyond just getting a camp invite.

My guys went for the first time between their Freshman and Sophomore years of high school.  My older guy was a D1 talent and got some experience in the showcase format and some interest.  My younger guy is a D3 talent and got experience in the showcase format and no interest...nor was he targeting any or expecting it.  And they both learned a few good baseball things from the instructors.  

Have a plan.  College recruiting for most players is about the family having a targeted plan of attack engaging the schools on their player's vetted list, i.e., where that player fits athletically and academically.  It's generally not a random "I hope some school finds me at a camp" thing. 

This ^^^