Skip to main content

Reply to "Compared to 15 years ago, it's harder to steal second base now"

freddy77 posted:

Stealing second vs. RHPs was noticeably easier 15 years ago in HS ball.

Back then, a lot more RHPs leg-lifted with runners on, probably because they didn't slidestep on the small diamond.  Now,  RHPs have been slidestepping since they were 11 yrs.-old.

For you guys that have been around for a while--do you agree it's harder to steal second? 

Btw, as a result, I spend quite a bit of time working on our running game.

Don’t don’t believe it has anything to do with kids playing open bases starting at age eleven. A lot of 11u and 12u players still don’t learn the slide step. The games were track meets when my son played. A lead off single was often a triple after a couple of pitches. 

There’s more video and instruction available now. Even if kids get to high school not knowing how to slide step they learn it quickly. I got to college not knowing how. When my pitching coach suggested I must have been stolen blind in high school I asked, “By what runners?” That cocky response was good for an afternoon of running poles.

I never learned in high school. There weren’t many base runners. I was recruited as an outfielder who ended up doing some left handed situational relieving. All of a sudden I was coming into games with base runners.

Last edited by RJM