Skip to main content

Reply to "Contact after Headfirst?"

Twoboys posted:

2018SS dad

I can add our experience from last year HF as well as friends who attended their July session (they actually have 1250 boys on the east coast this year and then also HF California as the July session was new this year):

- Last year, our 2017 and his friend made certain to speak to as many of the coaches of the schools they were interested in while there.  Several coaches then and there, expressed their interest and invited him for overnight visits.  A few others asked for him to send transcripts and test scores when he could.  A few others said they would be in touch.  And, a few others told him no.  One RC that told him they were not interested said if his velocity increased to at least 88, he should video it with a radar gun and send it and they might reconsider...one well known D3 said they had their guys already but if he got in on his own, he would be on the team, and two D1 schools told him if he got in on his own, he would LIKELY make the team and to keep in touch.  So we had a good idea driving away the 2nd day where he stood with most of his targeted schools

- He got some texts the first night there from other schools, and some emails and texts in the few days after his session (which meant they were contacting him during another session)

- Most of the schools followed up from the conversations there with an email or call by mid August.  He had some follow up though later, even up to Labor Day.

- One well known high academic and often top 25 D3 school which invited him for an overnight went "dark" and never contacted him or responded when he contacted them.  The AC he had spoken to left for another job so we chalked it up to that.  Oddly enough he ended up applying there, got in on his own, contacted the coaches to tell them and they still did not respond.  around May 1 when deposits are due they finally reached out (but alas they were too late by then).  

- The process has accelerated.  Your SS should be in touch and ask the D3 he likes that has offered when they need a decision by.  One D3 offered my 2017, we visited and he stayed overnight, had a great time.  Coach followed up a few days later on the phone.  Son said he liked the school, the program, and could see himself there.  It was not his top choice however.  At the time we had another overnight scheduled though and so son did not say I'm coming! (or that he was going to visit another school).  The day after the HC follow up phone call, this school emailed and said their class was full and they could no longer offer admissions support.  Wow, we had no idea it was an "exploding" offer and that he was at risk for not accepting by a certain date.  SO, learn a lesson, if the school is potentially a good fit make sure to clarify the decision timeline.  

- Friends who went to the July HF session have heard back from numerous schools and same process as my son, some have asked for transcripts and scores, some have made overnight visit suggestions.  They both sent emails after the showcase to their list of schools repeating their interest and they have had responses from those that are seemingly interested and others that have gone "dark" after seeing them. Not to say they might come back after these 4 sessions and circle back to them.  But I suggested they move forward with those they know that are interested now.

So, waiting a week may not be enough for some schools but as others have said, your son should reach out to them, depending on what dialogue he has already had.  

Hope this helps you.  Happy to help further by PM if it would be helpful to you.  

This is an excellent follow up by Twoboys...Takes you right into the eye of the tornado