Skip to main content

Reply to "Contact after Headfirst?"

2018SSDad posted:

Thank you everyone. This is really helpful. Agree that it makes sense for him not to wait and reach out.

To answer the questions he did let all the coaches know ahead of time that he was going to be at HF when he sent them his summer schedule (along with his summer video), so not right before the camp. A number of coaches at that point let him know they were interested in seeing him play and would be at HF.

To Branson's question, he wasn't actively seeking coaches at at camp which I know is a mistake, it's the main thing they tell the kids to do, but that's just not my kid to be comfortable with that part of the process when the coaches are getting hit up constantly. I'm sure this didn't help him. Hopefully it didn't hurt.

A couple of things, While it is a good idea to let coaches know in advance that you'll be attending an event, and also a good idea to do the 'headfirst handshake' , Try to remember that when an NCAA coach likes a kid they make their intentions clear. Immediately . They have roster sheets w/ contact info. If they like a player THEY reach out right away. Conversely , if there is no contact they are NOT interested. Period. Regardless of whether a kid emails or shakes hands. They watch the kids play and go after the ones they want RIGHT AWAY. It's that simple.

All these schools have a ink board with all their 2018 recruits listed by position and by ranking. At SS for 2018's they may have 4-5 names .  Their number one choice will be listed 1st and the rest of the names are ranked in order of importance to them ( 1 being best , 5 being worst ) . But generally it's a 'Good, better, best' type ranking.....Meaning, if you're on the board at all you're a pretty good fit.

Coaches reach out and talk to kids that are on their board. These guys on the board are considered 'Recruits '

I say all this about the board because what a lot of parents and kids don't realize is that when a RC or HC calls a kid it is generally during an allocated Call / Contact time during the coaches day. What that means is when he's finished talking to your kid he calls the next one on his list.  And before he talked to your kid he had already placed several calls to other recruits. Parents don't realize that these guys are working your kid and 3 other shortstops at the same time!

An NCAA roster spot is a coveted thing. Your son has 2 offers. That is a great thing this time of year for a 2018. But be forewarned , If your kid doesn't want it or doesn't show enough enthusiasm towards it , Another player will take it in a heartbeat.  So, while you want to do your homework and find that right school, You have to also honor the schools that have offered and know that those offers for the 2018 class are evaporating as I type this....The clock is ticking

Lot's of great advice here at HSBB Web. Different opinions based on experience. My son went thru the recruiting cycle as a 2016 and is currently playing at a D1 school in the South. My opinion on the 2018 class is that if you're still looking you're LATE. But you'll find different people here with different opinions than mine.

Don't forget. That unless your son projects for the 2018 MLB draft , you or your son never really choose the school....THEY choose you.

FACT : Less than 6% of the HS baseball players in the country will play NCAA baseball

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/probability.htm

Best of luck!

Last edited by StrainedOblique