Skip to main content

Reply to "Contact after Headfirst?"

StrainedOblique posted: 

A couple of things, While it is a good idea to let coaches know in advance that you'll be attending an event, and also a good idea to do the 'headfirst handshake' , Try to remember that when an NCAA coach likes a kid they make their intentions clear. Immediately . They have roster sheets w/ contact info. If they like a player THEY reach out right away. Conversely , if there is no contact they are NOT interested. Period. Regardless of whether a kid emails or shakes hands. They watch the kids play and go after the ones they want RIGHT AWAY. It's that simple.

All these schools have a ink board with all their 2018 recruits listed by position and by ranking. At SS for 2018's they may have 4-5 names .  Their number one choice will be listed 1st and the rest of the names are ranked in order of importance to them ( 1 being best , 5 being worst ) . But generally it's a 'Good, better, best' type ranking.....Meaning, if you're on the board at all you're a pretty good fit.

I agree with this advice in general, but specific to the OP's situation, I believe that a player can get on a school's board just based on contact before an event. I would imagine that many kids on HA D3 boards got there by initiating the contact. Just speculating, but how many guys could a school like Hopkins have on their board prior to HeadFirst? Maybe a few guys who attended camp? Friends/relatives of current players?
I'm imagining the kid who does something noteworthy in June or July (e.g. touched 89 at WWBA, ran a 6.8 60 or 90+ mph exit velocity at a showcase) sending that documentation and an expression of interest to the coaches before their HeadFirst session. Contacting coaches in advance just to let them know you're coming is usually just wasting your time and theirs. But, if you can send them a reason to give you a look, you have a much better chance of making it onto their list.