Skip to main content

Reply to "Contact after Headfirst?"

3and2Fastball posted:

Awesome thread....Two Questions:

Is the Rising Sophomore summer too early to attend Headfirst?

What is the minimum GPA threshold to where Headfirst doesn't make sense?  i.e. "yeah dude your grades are too low for Headfirst"

3 & 2: In my opinion given the cost of the showcase rising sophomore is too early to attend HF. (Exception would be if son is a P throwing near 90 or hitter who mashes). Son went as a rising junior, which for some schools was early in the process. One school that son was in touch with had their focus on concluding their rising senior recruiting class. Still son went to HF as a rising junior as a number of the schools he had vetted (correspondences, seen him at other showcases, given transcripts) were there. Also widened son's recruiting net attending. But going early allows you to see how son stacks up with older kids, which my son was able to compare.  Really gave him an impetus to increase his arm strength as he would see a number of the same prospect/recruits at future High academic (Ivy) showcases and camps.

As for the GPA question. I remember seeing a flyer (or receiving invite in mail) about an Academic showcase which required 3.0 GPA. In my opinion that's not high academic. 3.5 GPA or better would get into many conversations. As you would imagine, there is a sliding scale..higher MPH allows for lower GPA. Coaches know what gets through admissions. Also a student who tests well (ACT/SAT) allows for a lower GPA.  At the highest academic schools, I found the Academic Index (AI) handy to compare with the general population of admits. When son got deep into recruitment, team GPA was one of the questions he asked in comparing schools and later offers. Played a significant factor in decision along with the possibility of STEM major.

Good luck to all at showcases.