Skip to main content

Reply to "Contact after Headfirst?"

Great to see how helpful this thread has become.

My son also did HF as a rising Jr and I would say it wasn't worth it at all from recruitment standpoint - these guys are only interested in rising Seniors - but it was worth it from an experience standpoint. Of course it's a very expensive experience.

Most valuable was getting experience against better pitchers with 1-1 counts.

All batters start with 1-1 counts at HF unlike PG and every other showcase we ever went to. My son has been a leadoff batter his whole life and working walks so he can use his speed on the bases is a huge part of his game. That doesn't play at all at HF.

You will see a ton of kids K during each of the games because of the 1-1 count the start out on. It's really easy to get behind in a 1-2 count and with the quality of arms and after that most kids are toast.

Going into his second HF he was ready. He even played his last few summer tournament games with the mindset that it was 1-1 count every time he got in the box. It paid off. He only K'd 1 time in 9 AB and hit the ball hard consistently through all 4 games often swinging at the first pitch which is something he never does. 

It's also a good experience just to be in front of 90+ coaches and do the defensive showcase. That can be a very intimidating experience and worth it to have done it at least once before with so much on the line at the HF before your Sr season.