Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown versus Cal Ripken experience for 12 u"

Son was 11 on a 12u team that went in 2005.   (Where has the time gone?)

I agree Cooperstown is all about baseball and not much else.  Compared to the Ripken tournament in Abeerdeen, Maryland (guaranteed 3 games) the team went to prior to the trip to Cooperstown, Ripken had much nicer fields though DreamsPark does a good job grooming the fields.  The best one at Abeerdeen was a field with the same dimensions as Camden Yards but at 2/3 the size with 70' base paths.  The other fields copied were Fenway, Wrigley and one other (I forget which).  The tournament guaranteed that each team would play at the 'Yard' at least once.  A very well run tournament though son's team didn't do well - I think we only won one game.

A big disadvantage of Cooperstown is there is not much in the way of hotel accomodation's and what is there is certainly pricey if you can get a reservation in time.   We rented a house in the next town over about 15 miles away for about $900/week - far cheaper than any hotel.  Had to mail in a $450 deposit (half the rent) a few months before arriving.  Other than the HOF there is not all that much to do.   There is a lake there if you want to go fishing/camping, but if you're there to watch your son play ball, there is not much time to do that.   The fields at Dreams Park are only 200 ft with 10 feet walls.  Yes, HR's are plenty, but doubles and triples not so much.  Plus the walls pretty much block any sort of breeze.  On a hot day it can get stifling.  The fan viewing areas are much to be desired.  I didn't care for them.  And watch out for the golf carts - the staff use them to cart water and supplies all around the facility.   One more thing - the barracks are NOT air conditioned so if gets hot (the week we were there it was in the 90's all week) the barracks can be brutal.   The week before it had barely been in the 70's.

That said, my son had a great time even though the team didn't do well.  Team only won one game in pool play and in the first round.  The big thing for the players is pin trading.   Our team provided personalized pin bags for the players.

The schedule at Dreams Park has teams arriving on Saturday to check in.   Arrival day is the only day vehicles are allowed close to the team barracks.  Once gear and luggage is unloaded, then vehicles must be moved out to the parking lot.  Games start on Sunday.  Two games per day Sunday through Tuesday with final pool games on Wednesday morning and the tournament starts Wednesday afternoon.  All but the Championship game is played Wednesday evening.  And they will get them in.  When my son was there a thunderstorm delayed the 2nd or 3rd round games for a few hours.  They waited them out and went back to playing.   The final rounds didn't complete until well after 1 am.  Friday is the Championship game.  Many teams check out on Thursday and don't bother with the closing ceremonies and Championship game.  As I recall the teams have to checkout by Friday morning.

Our team cost was about $11,000 (remember, this was in 2005) for 12 players and 3 coaches.  We did a lot of fund raising including a golf tournament.  So $1,000/player wouldn't surprise me.