Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown versus Cal Ripken experience for 12 u"

Went to Cooperstown with my son's team as an assistant coach 4 years ago.  It is true that the barracks' beds are not comfortable and it can get a bit warm early in the evening as there is no A/C.  Generally I thought the weather was awesome though! Contrary to what a few others have said about the condition of the fields, they were in great shape when we were there, particularly considering how much play they get.

The Ripken Experience is great as well, but it is tough to match the bonding the kids get staying together as a team at CDP.  Kids are allowed to be "checked out" to spend time with their parents during the week, but typically none want to go.  I can still see the umpire that came with us sitting on the floor of our barracks trading pins with the kids.

It was an unbelievable experience for the whole family and my son still talks about it.  It has been especially fun to hear him talk about his experience with his brother who is headed up with his team later this month.  Obviously, he loved the baseball, but he also remembers other things like whiffle ball and specific games that were in the arcade.

My younger son's team went to Ripken Pigeon Forge earlier this summer for a 3-day tournament but we have never been to the Aberdeen or Myrtle Beach facility.  As others have said, the facilities were unbelievable.  All turf fields that were replicas of prominent minor league stadiums and an unbelievable mountain view backdrop.  The tournament was very well run and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Maybe the week-long tournaments are different, but one stark difference I would point out are the championship games.  At the Memorial Day Tournament in Pigeon Forge, teams and their families cleared out after they were eliminated.  At CDP, all of the teams are still there and the stadium is packed, creating a very memorable experience even if your team is just watching. 

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time.  My recommendation is to do both if you can.  Maybe not a week at both, but perhaps a week at CDP and a long weekend tournament at one of the Ripken sites.

Last edited by LU 57